1 a station in a remote or sparsely populated location [syn: outstation]
2 a settlement on the frontier of civilization [syn: frontier settlement]
3 a military post stationed at a distance from the main body of troops
- A military post stationed at a distance from the main body of troops.
- The outpost did not have enough ammunition to resist a determined assault.
- The troops themselves, so stationed.
- Sgt. Smith fleeced most of the rest of the outpost of their earnings in their weekly game of craps.
- An outlying
- Beyond the border proper, there are three small outposts not officially under government protection.
The troops themselves
- Finnish: etuvartio
An outlying settlement
Outpost or The Outpost may refer to:
- Outpost (chess), a position in the game chess
- Outpost (2008 film), a 2008 horror film
- Outpost (board game), from TimJim games
- Outpost (computer game), a Sierra On-Line video game
- Outpost (1981 computer game), an arcade game
- The Outpost (novel), by Bolesław Prus
- The Outpost (Mike Resnick novel), a 2001 science fiction novel
- Outpost Firewall Pro, a software package
Outpost may also be:
outpost in Russian: Форпост
Berlin wall, China, Darkest Africa, God knows where, Greenland, North Pole, Outer Mongolia, Pago Pago, Pillars of Hercules, Siberia, South Pole, Thule, Tierra del Fuego, Timbuktu, Ultima Thule, Yukon, advance guard, airhead, alentours, ambience, ambit, antipodes, armed guard, avant-garde, back country, backwoods, bamboo curtain, bank guard, battle line, beachhead, boondock, boondocks, border, border ground, borderland, borderlands, bridgehead, brush, bush country, bushveld, circle, circuit, circumambiencies, circumjacencies, circumstances, coast guard, compass, context, cordon, cordon sanitaire, entourage, environing circumstances, environment, environs, farthest outpost, first line, forefront, forests, front, front line, front rank, front-runner, frontier, frontier post, garrison, gestalt, goalie, goalkeeper, goaltender, godforsaken place, guard, guarder, guardsman, habitat, hinterland, inlying picket, iron curtain, jailer, jumping-off place, line, march, marches, marchland, milieu, neighborhood, nowhere, outback, outer space, outguard, outposts, outskirts, perimeter, periphery, picket, pioneer, point, pole, precincts, precursor, purlieus, railhead, rear guard, scout, security guard, situation, spearhead, suburbs, surroundings, the Great Divide, the South Seas, the boondocks, the bush, the moon, the sticks, the tullies, three-mile limit, timbers, total environment, train guard, twelve-mile limit, uninhabited region, up-country, van, vanguard, vicinage, vicinity, virgin land, virgin territory, warder, wasteland, wild West, wilderness, wilds, woodlands, woods